After six years of renovation, restoration and expansion the Mathematical-Physical Salon has reopened on 14th April 2013.
The exhibition area extends from the Crown Gate to the Wall Pavilion and includes a spacious entrance hall in the Grotto Hall. A new building, not visible from the outside, in the outer ward wall allowed a new exhibition space.
The permanent exhibition has been completely redesigned and takes up the theme of the collection history:
Mechanics and Mathematics in 1600 ( On display are automatons as the Drumming Bear and astronomical world models such as the planets’ clock by Eberhard Baldeweins, which is one of the most complicated mechanical machines of the 16th century.)
The Physical Cabinet (burning appliances, vacuum pump, giant telescopes)
The watch collection (history of (wheels) clocks from the 16th to the 19th century with the history of Saxon precision watchmaking to the beginnings of watchmaking in Glashütte in the Ore Mountains)
“Salon in the Salon” – the place of learning. Here, for example, physical experiments with replicas of a vacuum pump and an electrical machine can be demonstrated
Globe collection – daylight-free exhibition space for the Globes, that mostly are made of hand-coloured and therefore highly light-sensitive paper
Through various media stations at selected exhibits, the visitors’ access to the clocks, telescopes and instruments shown is facilitated.